Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The road less travelled

DANCING INTO THE DARKNESS

My rehab has gone well, I'm starting to feel like I want to get back into shape but I have no point of reference. I feel like I'm dancing in the dark. Like, no one can see if I'm getting the moves right.

I'm ready to go but I have no idea what I can achieve with some indoor bike work, and swimming, with slow and gentle leg work in the gym. "Quad Blaster" obviously gets priority, but no upper body weight work.

Clean eating will clearly play a much bigger part than ever before since I will have to to take great care not to lose any more muscle along the way.

So in a round about way I'm getting to publicly designing a "shred" for myself with accountability to all of the you.

Let's start with a time frame:
How about 18 weeks, starting tomorrow wed Feb 25th 09 and running to July 01.
What can I hope to achieve?
Well that depends on what I believe. Do I believe I can get to 9% body fat, because that's what I'd like to be at. Can I get more muscular? Doubtful based on what I can and can't do. Probably end up looking more like an endurance athlete.
What is my start point
22olbs/100kgs
20% body fat
What are my goals
To attain a body fat % of 9
What action steps will I take to get me there
I will train 6 days a week using a mixture of walking, indoor cycling, swimming and lower body weight training as allowed by my neurosurgeon.
I will take one rest day per week.
I will train sensibly and cautiously
I will eat at least 5 balanced healthy nutrititious meals per day 6 days per week.
How will I be accountable to my fellow shredders
I will post pictures once a week (fridays) to gauge progress
I will post weight and body fat measurements on the same day

This is my contract with my fellow shredders

Please come along for the ride and let's see what I can do with what I have.


6 comments:

juli gets happy said...

Dougal, I am happy to find you back here.

Your plan sounds suitable for you and I am convinced that you will nail your goal.

I am holding thumbs for you and I am -again- happy to find you back here. I missed you.

Juli

Debbie said...

Dougal, good luck on your new mission. It's great to have you back.

Adam Waters said...

Hi Dougal, mate, I'm just so happy for you that you are in a position where you can shred given what you been through mate. From the best I can tell mate, your plan looks very solid, especially the low impact work.

Welcome back mate!

Adam

Margaret2007 said...

I kept checking in on you Dougal and am SO glad to see you're back at it...

I have started a 90 day session myself, and look forward to our collective success!

Just to verbalize my goal to someone, I need to surpass my previous "lowest" weight during this time. It seems I've been hung up at a certain point. So, here goes 14 lbs of fat!

So glad you are back pursuing your goals Dougal!

Margaret

Marbella said...

Hi Dougal,
Wonderful to find you back sounding like you always did, still wanting to improve and shred. You bet you can do a lot! In fact, endurance athletes really have fenominal bodies. Probably the best looking of all. We´ll expect to see a new Dougal, and maybe the BEST Dougal of all.
Lynda

dougal said...

Thanks Juli I missed you too.

Hey Debbie, thanks for your support.

Adam, thanks for popping in. I'm looking forward to getting started.

Margaret, great that you are on a mission too. We can support each other.

Lynda, thank you for the visit, I'm excited about starting to train again even though it'll feel very different.