Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The road less travelled

On an all time high.

Trained my clients this morning, followed by my own cardio (stationary bike) and leg weights session. Then headed to a commercial gym, Virgin Active, to test the waters, literally.

Since I can't run any longer I've decided to include swimming as a cardio workout. It worked perfectly. I have no mobility between my head and shoulders (spinal fusion and titanium rods screws etc) so one would have thought that it wouldn't work.

Well the principles of a good stroke are that when you breath you turn your whole body and not just your head like in the old days. This makes you more streamlined in the water. So my limitation has now become an ADVANTAGE....I will probably swim better than I ever did before. How cool is that.

The point of that little story is that there is an upside for every downside. You just have to look for it.

Instead of focussing on the bad, get away from that and look for the good...and there is always a GOOD side. If you don't believe me I challenge you to give me a real life scenario that has caused you grief and I'll show you a positive out of it.

That's my challenge to you today. WHO IS UP FOR IT.

I'm on an all time high. I feel energetic, healthy, fit and strong and life is WONDERFUL.

How bout you?

2 comments:

Margaret2007 said...

I've always had vision issues, wore glasses/contacts, and never learned to swim the proper freestyle manner, so your description really has "opened my eyes" to the correct method!

Yes, I am at a wonderful place with exercise and healthy nutrition...really am SO grateful for it and look forward to keeping on this road. Even with life issues still rising up to challenge, I have my methods to "work around" them, so as not to "comfort" with food or slothfulness.

Thanks Dougal...and swim on!

dougal said...

Thank you too Margaret. I'm so glad to hear that you have developed 'fixes' for life's issues..it's a clever way to make a healthy lifestyle a habit. Well done.