Tuesday, June 24, 2008

THE CRUSADES - by dougal macdonald Chief Evangalist - Day 13

Happiness is 'BEING ABLE TO WALK'

Heading out the door for my speed walk today and just felt overwhelmingly grateful that I could walk. Sounds kinda silly to an able bodied person.

Then I thought about some of the incredible "challenged" athletes we have in this beautiful country South Africa.

Oscar Pistorius had his legs amputated at a very young age and has grown up with prosthetics He has also grown up to be a very fast runner. He has had special blades made to enable him to run. Biomechanically he would have a hard time running with traditional proshetics.

This incredible young man...early 20's.....has been fighting a major battle with the international athletic authorities to.....get this.....ALLOW HIM TO RUN IN THE OLYMPIC GAMES....yes he's that fast. Up till a short while ago he has met with a brick wall. "He has an advantage with the springy blades", they say.

Advantage over what, able bodied guys with REAL legs. Give me a break, are you kidding me.

Anyway, he has finally been allowed to compete in Beijing....all he has to do now is beat the Olympic qualifying time.

Can you image a kid with NO legs's biggest challenge being to QUALIFY FOR THE OLYMPIC GAMES.

The least YOU can do is get off the darn couch and walk around the block,that's a start.

By the way, my speed walk today, 3+kms, a new PB 27.49. Down from my original 1 hour. Looking forward to Fartlek (speedplay) 4+kms on thursday.

Please ask all your non-exercising friends to read my blog...and maybe we'll get another 100 people to fall in love...with health and fitness. Our lives are so precious, don't waste them watching people ride a mountain bike...Go do it yourself.....NOW.

6 comments:

kylepalm13 said...

Hey Dougal

just wanted to say how much respect i have for you, to go through something like this and to have the attitude you have is phenomenal! i know i would struggle to be optimistic if faced with the same situation, but after reading your blog, i feel i can face anything life throws at me. I am proud to be related to you!

Keep that chin up and keep charging forward!

Kyle

dougal said...

Hey my boy, thank you so much for the visit and the comments. I believe you don't give yourself enough credit..you have unlimited potential..however, I wouldn't want to see you or anybody challenged this far. It ain't easy but I have my whole life ahead of me and I intend to make the most of it.
Kyle is my nephew and is a very talented athlete in his own right, living in England.
His address is ....oh no, I better not, he'll have every female on the planet after him. Yes he is that Fly.

Shari Kraft said...

Well, if Kyle has HALF the gumption his uncle has, then he's a pretty great guy! He has a lot of love and respect for you. Family really helps when the going gets rough. I mentioned you on my blog today :)

~liz said...

You go... keep smiling... Thanks for cheering me on. I really appreciate it. I comment at the comments section on my blog also

www.kalililla.com said...

Wow Dougal, you already cut your 3k time in half. Awesome!

dougal said...

Shari, you're right family help A LOT, I just wish they wern't so far away.

Liz, thanks, heading on over to your site right now.

Lil, thanks, boy I'm happy...and I'm really enjoying walking.