Wednesday, June 17, 2009

M2 | CONTEST | Day 45



Yesterday was a holiday in South Africa and we were consequently invited to some friends for a big luncheon.

I knew it was going to be a big bash with lots of extravagant food and huge amounts of alcohol.

I planned for a free meal since I knew it was going to be difficult to eat clean and I do not want people running around me at a function or getting into a discussion about why I'm so boring because of the food I eat.

We arrived and stood around the bar for awhile, awaiting the arrival of the other guests.
Imagine my surprise when the hors d'oeuvres arrived.....crux de terres, lots of lovely crunchy raw veggies with black olives (good fats) and asparagus. Went very well with my ice cold sparkling water.

Later we adjourned to the table, beautifully appointed for twelve people...and the host disapeared down into the wine cellar returning with a few bottles of a dusty but fabulous local '95 Cabernet Sauvignon.

Now I love a glass of good wine so graciously said thank you as it was thrust into my outstretched hand.

Everbody else was drinking french Champagne. I stuck with my one glass of red interspersed with copious glasses of water the whole afternoon.

The first course arrived. Exquisite fresh norwegian salmon dressed with caper berries, fresh pomegranite and smooth fat free cottage cheese.

That went down very well with me and was followed by 'done to a turn' rare fillet steak with roasted vegetables.

My upturned eyebrows went unnoticed and I wondered why the meal so far was one hundred percent clean.

After a decent break between courses....desert. Delicious fresh fruit salad with fat free yoghurt.

Wow, what's going on here.

At the end of wonderful afternoon with a delicious espresso in hand everybody complimented the hostess on an exquisite meal.

The hostess replied " Well most of it was done for Dougal, you know he only eats healthy food." Aaagh OK, so that's what it's about.

What followed was a short discourse on clean eating and everybody agreed that it was not difficult at all to eat the way we had eaten today at all.

Upside....had a fabulous day with friends, ate perfectly healthy fare and made a few converts into the bargain.

WIN WIN, for everyone I'd say.

Proof that a healthy lifestyle does NOT have to be boring.

No comments: