Saturday, September 22, 2007

Week 3, day 6

Go Figure

Saturday morning, I am excited, aprehensive, a little anxious but can't wait.

Today is measure day. I feel leaner, harder, stronger, so it's all good right. WRONG

I open up the gym, take my time opening windows, getting the vibes going and holding myself back I move slowly towards the scale.

NO WAY

I have eaten super clean this week, have trained like a dog, worked hard on the cardio. How the hell can I be a kilo up.

Get off the scale, stare dazed into the far distance and then jump back on...like it's going to be different. No there it is, one kilo up.

OK, let's not dive off the nearest tall building just yet, body fat test to come...that'll be down for sure. Spirit restored I haul out the calipers and get to work.

WHAT BODY FAT UP.

I crash to the floor devastated, sweating profusely, heart palpitations causing convulsions... "how could this happen to me, I'm a professional" I appeal to some unseen power source expecting that with a flash of light my weight will suddenly drop and my body fat will miraculously drop by 10%.

OK last resort...the tape measure, this will show for sure that I have made progress.

Unfortunately the tale of the tape confirmes the scale and the calipers.

How does this happen.

Perhaps my metabolism needs to settle after a time of yo yo eating, perhaps....well actually perhaps really doesn't matter. Facts are facts and I'll never really know but...

What am I going to do about it, how am I going to react...am I going to be proactive.

I'm going to do exactly what I have been doing, and committed to do. Intense weight training 3 x per week, hi intensity cardio 3 x per week, eating 5-6 quality meals per day, drinking litres of water and getting enough sleep.

Luckily I have enough experience to know that what I'm doing works, and these things happen, they just do. I looking for progress not perfection.

At the end of it all, the ground underneath the nearest tall building is safe for another day...and life goes on.

No comments: